Towns and Cities
Historical Area Zoning
R.I. Gen. Laws § 45-24.1-1.1
§ 45-24.1-1.1. Definitions.
The following terms have the following respective meanings unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context:
(1) "Alteration" means an act that changes one or more of the exterior architectural features of a structure or its appurtenances, including, but not limited to, the erection, construction, reconstruction, or removal of any structure or appurtenance.
(2) "Appurtenances" means features other than primary or secondary structures which contribute to the exterior historic appearance of a property, including, but not limited to, paving, doors, windows, signs, materials, decorative accessories, fences, and historic landscape features.
(3) "Certificate of appropriateness" means a certificate issued by a historic district commission established under this chapter indicating approval of plans for alteration, construction, repair, removal, or demolition of a structure or appurtenances of a structure within a historic district. Appropriate for the purposes of passing upon an application for a certificate of appropriateness means not incongruous with those aspects of the structure, appurtenances, or the district which the commission has determined to be historically or architecturally significant.
(4) "Construction" means the act of adding to an existing structure or erecting a new principal or accessory structure or appurtenances to a structure, including, but not limited to, buildings, extensions, outbuildings, fire escapes, and retaining walls.
(5) "Demolition" means an act or process that destroys a structure or its appurtenances in part or in whole.
(6) "Historic district" means a specific division of a city or town as designated by ordinance of the city or town pursuant to this chapter. A historic district may include one or more structures.
(7) "Removal" means a relocation of a structure on its site or to another site.
(8) "Repair" means a change meant to remedy damage or deterioration of a structure or its appurtenances.
(9) "Structure" means anything constructed or erected, the use of which requires permanent or temporary location on or in the ground, including, but not limited to, buildings, gazebos, billboards, outbuildings, decorative and retaining walls, and swimming pools.
History of Section.
P.L. 1988, ch. 373, § 1.