Towns and Cities
R.I. Gen. Laws § 45-24-42
§ 45-24-42. General provisions — Special-use permits.
(a) A zoning ordinance shall provide for the issuance of special-use permits approved by the zoning board of review, or, where unified development review is enabled pursuant to § 45-24-46.4, the planning board or commission.
(b) The ordinance shall:
(1) Specify the uses requiring special-use permits in each district;
(2) Describe the conditions and procedures under which special-use permits, of each or the various categories of special-use permits established in the zoning ordinance, may be issued;
(3) Establish criteria for the issuance of each category of special-use permit that shall be in conformance with the purposes and intent of the comprehensive plan and the zoning ordinance of the city or town;
(4) Provide for public hearings and notification of the date, time, place, and purpose of those hearings to interested parties. Special-use permit requests submitted under a zoning ordinance's unified development review provisions shall be heard and noticed in conjunction with the subdivision or land-development application, according to the requirements of § 45-23-50.1. Public notice for special-use permits that are not submitted under a zoning ordinance's unified development review provisions shall be given at least fourteen (14) days prior to the date of the hearing in a newspaper of general circulation in the city or town. Notice of hearing shall be sent by first-class mail to the applicant, and to all those who would require notice under § 45-24-53. The notice shall also include the street address of the subject property. A zoning ordinance may require that a supplemental notice, that an application for a special-use permit is under consideration, be posted at the location in question. The posting is for information purposes only and does not constitute required notice of a public hearing. The cost of notification shall be borne by the applicant;
(5) Provide for the recording of findings of fact and written decisions; and
(6) Provide that appeals may be taken pursuant to §§ 45-24-70 or 45-23-66, dependent on the board to which application was made.
(c) The ordinance additionally may provide that an applicant may apply for, and be issued, a dimensional variance in conjunction with a special-use permit. If the special use could not exist without the dimensional variance, the zoning board of review, or, where unified development review is enabled pursuant to § 45-24-46.4(b), the planning board or commission shall consider the special-use permit and the dimensional variance together to determine if granting the special use is appropriate based on both the special use criteria and the dimensional variance evidentiary standards.
History of Section.
P.L. 1991, ch. 307, § 1; P.L. 2001, ch. 346, § 1; P.L. 2002, ch. 91, § 1; P.L. 2002, ch. 197, § 1; P.L. 2002, ch. 218, § 1; P.L. 2016, ch. 527, § 4.