§ 46-13-21 Advisory council. (a) There is hereby created an advisory council, to be known as the public drinking water supply advisory council, and whose purpose it shall be to advise the director and public drinking water suppliers concerning fees and the implementation of the provisions of this chapter.
(b) The council shall be composed of seven (7) members.
(1) Two (2) members shall be members of the house of representatives appointed by the speaker, not more than one from the same political party;
(2) One member of the senate appointed by the president of the senate;
(3) one member to be the director, or his or her designee;
(4) One officer of a community public drinking water supplier appointed by the governor;
(5) One officer of a nontransient noncommunity public water supplier appointed by the governor; and
(6) One member of the general public, to be appointed by the governor.
(c) The legislative members of the council shall serve for a term of two (2) years. Each member may be reappointed for two (2) additional terms.
(d) The member of the general public, appointed by the governor, shall be appointed for a term of three (3) years and may be reappointed for one additional term.
(e) The members, appointed by the governor, who are officers of a public drinking water supplier, shall be appointed for a one year term, and may be reappointed for three (3) additional terms.
(f) The director, or his or her designee, shall serve upon the council without removal.
(g) On the third Monday in July after the enactment of this
chapter, the members of the council shall meet at the call of the speaker of
the house and organize. The speaker shall appoint a chairperson from among the
legislative members. The vice chairperson shall be elected by the membership of
(P.L. 1992, ch. 133, art. 36, § 2; P.L. 2001, ch. 180, § 152; P.L. 2007, ch. 340, § 46.)