§ 46-22-6. Exemption from numbering provisions of this chapter.
A motorboat shall not be required to be numbered under this chapter if it is:
(1) Already covered by a number in full force and effect which has been awarded to it pursuant to federal law or federally approved numbering system of another state; provided, however, in the event the boat is to be operated on the waters of this state in excess of ninety (90) days, the owner shall record the number with the department of environmental management, division of boating safety, and pay the fees required under this chapter.
(2) A motorboat from a country other than the United States temporarily using the waters of this state.
(3) A motorboat whose owner is the United States, a state, or a subdivision thereof.
(4) A ship’s lifeboat.
(5) A motorboat used exclusively for racing.
(6) A houseboat as defined in § 44-5-25.1.
(7) A rowboat twelve feet (12′) in length or less.
(8) A canoe.
(9) A ferry.
History of Section.
P.L. 1959, ch. 187, § 1; P.L. 1965, ch. 134, § 1; P.L. 1985, ch. 370, § 1; P.L. 1990, ch. 65, art. 24, § 2.