Businesses and Professions
R.I. Gen. Laws § 5-25-2
§ 5-25-2. Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Animal" means any animal other than humans and includes, by way of illustration, not limitation, fowl, birds, fish, livestock, and reptiles, wild or domestic, living or dead.
(2) "Department" means the Rhode Island department of health.
(3) "Director" means the director of the Rhode Island department of health.
(4) "Division" means the division of professional regulation within the department of health established in chapter 26 of this title.
(5) "Veterinarian" means a person who practices veterinary medicine.
(6) "Veterinarian/client/patient relationship" means a relationship where all of the following conditions have been met:
(i) The veterinarian has assumed the responsibility for making medical judgments regarding the health of the animal or animals and the need for medical treatment, and the client has agreed to follow the instructions of the veterinarian;
(ii) The veterinarian has sufficient knowledge of the animal or animals to initiate at least a general or preliminary (e.g. tentative) diagnosis of the medical condition of the animal or animals. This means that the veterinarian has recently seen and is personally acquainted with the keeping and care of the animal or animals, and/or by medically appropriate and timely visits to the premises where the animal or animals are kept;
(iii) The veterinarian is readily available for follow-up in cases of adverse reactions or failure of the regimen of therapy; and
(iv) The veterinarian maintains records that document patient visits, diagnosis, treatment, and other relevant information.
(7) "Veterinary dentistry" means that part of veterinary science that deals with the prevention and treatment of diseases, developmental conditions, and injuries of the teeth, gums, and oral cavity in animals.
History of Section.
P.L. 1985, ch. 531, § 2; P.L. 1997, ch. 343, § 1.