§ 5-35.2-1 Definitions. As used in this chapter:
(1) "Advisory committee" means the advisory committee of opticianry as established herein.
(2) "Department" means the department of health
(3) "Director" means the director of the department of health.
(4) "Optician" means a person licensed in this state to practice opticianry pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
(5) "The Practice of Opticianry" means the preparation or
dispensing of eyeglasses, spectacles, lenses, or related appurtenances, for the
intended wearers, or users, on prescription from licensed physicians or
optometrists, or duplications or reproductions of previously prepared
eyeglasses, spectacles, lenses, or related appurtenances; or the person who, in
accordance with such prescriptions, duplications or reproductions, measures,
adapts, fits, and adjusts eyeglasses, spectacles, lenses, including spectacles
add powers for task specific use or occupational applications, or
appurtenances, to the human face. Provided, however, a person licensed under
the provisions of this chapter shall be specifically prohibited from engaging
in the practice of ocular refraction, orthoptics, visual training, the
prescribing of subnormal vision aids, telescopic spectacles, fitting, selling,
replacing, or dispensing contact lenses.
(P.L. 2008, ch. 305, § 3; P.L. 2008, ch. 433, § 3.)