§ 5-37-1.4. Director Powers and duties.
The director has the following duties and powers:
(1) With the prior approval of the governor, the director shall appoint a chief administrative officer who shall administer and supervise the investigatory and other activities of the board. The chief administrative officer shall be selected from a list of not less than three (3) names compiled and submitted to the governor by a search committee. The search committee shall consist of four (4) individuals: the director or his designee; one public member appointed by the board; one appointed by the governor; and one physician member appointed by the board. To be included on the list of potential appointees, an individual must have unanimous approval of the members of the search committee. The chief administrative officer shall report to the director of the department of health and the board who establishes the further duties of the chief administrative officer;
(2) With the prior approval of the governor, to appoint legal counsel and any assistant legal counsel that may be required;
(3) In consultation with the board, to make contracts and arrangements for the performance of administrative and similar services required, or appropriate, or necessary to effectuate the provisions of this chapter;
(4) In consultation with the board, to hire professional and clerical staff necessary to carry out the functions of the board;
(5) To issue, pursuant to any rules and regulations promulgated by the board and approved by the director, all licenses and registrations required by this chapter to qualified applicants;
(6) To deny, revoke, or suspend licenses and registrations or discipline licensees in accordance with the provisions of this chapter;
(7) To exercise all other powers specifically conferred upon him or her by this chapter or other applicable sections of the general laws of the state.
(P.L. 1986, ch. 301, § 6.)