§ 5-40.1-12. Renewal of licenses Inactive status.
(a) Upon the recommendation of the board, the director shall issue to applicants who have satisfactorily met the licensure requirements of this chapter, a license to practice occupational therapy in this state. The license, unless sooner suspended or revoked, shall expire on the thirty-first (31st) day of March, of each even year (biennially).
(1) On or before the first (1st) day of March of each even year, the administrator of the division shall mail an application for renewal of license to every individual to whom a license has been issued or renewed during the current licensure period.
(2) Every licensed individual who desires to renew his or her license shall file with the division a renewal application executed together with the evidence of continuing education requirements as delineated in subsection (a)(3) and the renewal fee as set forth in § 23-1-54 made payable by check to the general treasurer, state of Rhode Island, on or before the thirty-first (31st) day of March of each even year.
(3) On application for renewal of license, occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants must show proof of participation in twenty (20) hours biennially in presentations, clinical instruction, publications, research, in-service programs, American Occupational Therapy Association-recognized conferences, university courses, and/or self-study courses.
(4) Upon receipt of a renewal application and payment of fee, the director shall, upon the recommendation of the board, grant a renewal license effective the thirty-first (31st) day of March for a period of two (2) years, unless sooner suspended or revoked.
(5) Any individual who allows his or her license to lapse by failing to renew it on or before the thirty-first (31st) day of March of the next even year as provided in subsections (a)(1), (a)(2), and (a)(3), may be reinstated by the director upon receiving a receipt from the division for payment of the current renewal fee plus an additional fee as set forth in § 23-1-54 made payable by check to the general treasurer, state of Rhode Island.
(6) An individual using the title "occupational therapist" or "occupational therapy assistant" during the time his or her license has lapsed is subject to the penalties provided for violation of those regulations and this chapter.
(b) An individual licensed as an occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant in this state who does not intend to engage in the practice of occupational therapy within this state during any year, may upon request to the division, have his or her name transferred to an inactive status and shall not be required to register biennially or pay any fee as long as he or she remains inactive. Any individual whose name has been transferred to an inactive status pursuant to this section, may be restored to active status to practice occupational therapy without a penalty fee, upon the filing of an application for licensure renewal, the licensure renewal fee as set forth in § 23-1-54 made payable by check to the general treasurer of the state of Rhode Island, and any other information that may be requested by the division.
(P.L. 1984, ch. 356, § 1; P.L. 1997, ch. 350, § 1; P.L. 2001, ch. 77, art. 14, § 16; P.L. 2007, ch. 73, art. 39, § 14; P.L. 2012, ch. 241, art. 9, § 16.)