§ 5-40-1. Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Board" means the board of physical therapy established by § 5-40-2.
(2) "Department" means the department of health.
(3) "Examination" means an examination approved by the department in consultation with the board.
(4) "License" means a license issued by the department to practice physical therapy.
(5) "Physical therapist" means an individual who is licensed by the department to practice physical therapy.
(6) "Physical therapist assistant" means an individual who is licensed by the department to assist in the practice of physical therapy under the supervision of a physical therapist.
(7) "Physical therapy" means the care and services provided by or under the direction and supervision of a physical therapist who is licensed pursuant to this chapter.
(8) "Practice of physical therapy" means:
(i)(A) Examination, evaluation, treatment, and instruction of patients/clients to detect, assess, prevent, correct, alleviate, and limit physical disability, physical dysfunction, and pain from injury, disease, and any other bodily conditions;
(B) Administration, interpretation, and evaluation of tests and measurements of bodily functions and structures;
(C) The planning, administration, evaluation, and modification of treatment and instruction, including the use of physical measures, activities, and devices, for preventive and therapeutic purposes; and
(D) The provision of consultative, educational, and other advisory services for the purpose of reducing the incidence and severity of physical disability, physical dysfunction, and pain;
(ii) The practice of physical therapy does not include the practice of medicine as defined in chapter 37 of this title.
(9) "Supervision" means that a licensed physical therapist is at all times responsible for supportive personnel and students.
(P.L. 1982, ch. 261, § 2; P.L. 1988, ch. 359, § 1; P.L. 1988, ch. 434, § 1; P.L. 1992, ch. 232, § 1; P.L. 2003, ch. 133, § 1; P.L. 2003, ch. 152, § 1; P.L. 2017, ch. 130, § 1; P.L. 2017, ch. 312, § 1.)