Title 5
Businesses and Professions

Chapter 40
Physical Therapists

R.I. Gen. Laws § 5-40-16

§ 5-40-16. Appeals from board, administrator, or director.

(a) An appeal from any decision or order of the board, administrator of professional regulation, or director of the department of health may be claimed by any aggrieved party within thirty (30) days of that decision or order by filing a claim of appeal and reasons for the appeal in the office of the clerk of the superior court in the county in which the aggrieved party resides.

(b) A copy of the aggrieved party’s claim of appeal and the reasons for the appeal shall be served on the secretary of the board or administrator of professional regulation. The secretary or administrator shall promptly certify to the clerk of the superior court a correct and full copy of the record in connection with the order, including a transcript of the evidence, if the transcript has been taken, its findings of fact, conclusions, and a copy of the order.

(c) The court shall review the record of the order or decision, and in the event it finds that order or decision unlawful, arbitrary, or unreasonable, may vacate or set aside that order.

(d) The aggrieved party may claim or waive a trial by jury and proceedings shall be the same as those taken at other criminal or civil proceedings, but no party shall rely on any other grounds than those stated in his or her reasons of appeal.

(e) The filing of a claim of appeal shall not in itself stay or suspend the operation of any order or decision of the board, but during the pendency of those proceedings, the superior court may, in its discretion, stay or suspend, in whole or in part, the order or decision. No order of the court staying or suspending an order or decision shall be made by the court other than on five (5) days’ notice and after a hearing thereon and the suspension of the order or decision shall be based upon a finding by the court that great or irreparable damage would result to the aggrieved party in the absence of that stay or suspension.

(f) An appeal may be taken from the decision of the superior court to the supreme court of the state in the same manner as an appeal is taken under § 28-35-29.

History of Section.
P.L. 1982, ch. 261, § 2.