§ 5-44-1 Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Academic psychologist" means a person employed by or associated with a recognized college or university or other recognized institution who is engaged in teaching, studying, or conducting research in the science of psychology.
(2) "Board" means the board of psychology established by § 5-44-3.
(3) "Education" means the academic program pursued by a person in obtaining a doctoral degree, that program to include formal course work, seminars, and practica.
(4) "Licensed psychologist" means a person who has been licensed for the practice of psychology under this chapter. "Psychologist" as used in this chapter means a licensed psychologist as defined in this section.
(5) "Practice of psychology" means the rendering of professional psychological services to individuals, groups, families, or any public or private organization for remuneration. Professional psychological services means applying established psychological principles, methods, or procedures for the purpose of preventing or eliminating symptomatic, maladaptive or undesired behavior and of enhancing interpersonal relationships, work and life adjustment, personal effectiveness, and mental health. The practice of psychology includes, but is not limited to:
(i) Diagnoses and treatment of emotional, mental or behavioral dysfunction, disorder or disability, alcoholism and substance abuse disorders of habit or conduct, as well as of the psychological aspects of physical illness, accident, injury, or disability;
(ii) Psychological testing and evaluation of intelligence, personality, abilities, interests, aptitudes, and neuropsychological functioning;
(iii) Psychoeducation evaluation, therapy, remediation and consultation; and
(iv) Counseling, psychotherapy, psychoanalysis, hypnotherapy, biofeedback and behavior analysis and therapy.
(6) "Psychology student", "psychology trainee", "psychology intern", or "psychology resident" means a student, intern, or other person studying or preparing for the profession of psychologist under the supervision of recognized educational or training institutions or facilities.
(7) "Training" means the pre-professional or professional supervised experience received by the person at the pre or post-doctoral level, that experience to have been obtained in an internship, clinic, or other similar professional setting.
(8) "Department" means the Rhode Island department of health.
(9) "Director" means the director of the Rhode Island department of health.
(P.L. 1969, ch. 233, § 2; P.L. 1983, ch. 253, § 16; P.L. 1992, ch. 469, § 1; P.L. 2008, ch. 303, § 1; P.L. 2008, ch. 416, § 1; P.L. 2011, ch. 41, § 1; P.L. 2011, ch. 76, § 1.)