§ 5-5.1-2. Definitions.
(a) As used in this chapter:
(1) "Applicant" means any person who on his or her own behalf or on behalf of another has applied for permission to engage in any act or activity that is regulated under the provisions of this chapter.
(2) "Branch office" means any office of a licensee within the state other than its principal place of business within the state.
(3) "Business" means any corporation, company, association, operation, firm, partnership, institution, trust, or other form of business association, as well as a natural person. One client or customer constitutes a business.
(4) "Employee" means any natural person employed by the businesses defined in this section. It does not include secretaries and clerical workers.
(5) "Attorney General" means the attorney general of the state of Rhode Island;
(6) "License" means any license required by this chapter.
(7) "Licensee" means any person to whom a license is granted in accordance with, the provisions of this chapter.
(8) "License fee" means any moneys required by law to be paid for the issuance or renewal of any license required by the regulations.
(9) "Person" means any corporation, company, association, operation, firm, partnership, institution, trust, or other form of business association, as well as a natural person.
(10) "Private security guard business" includes:
(i) A business which furnishes for hire or reward watchmen, guards, bodyguards, private patrolmen, or other persons, to protect persons or real and personal property;
(ii) A business which furnishes for hire or reward any trained dog or other animal with or without an accompanying handler for the purpose of providing security.
(11) "Publicly traded corporation" means any corporation or other legal entity, except a natural person, which:
(i) Has one or more classes of security registered pursuant to § 12 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (15 U.S.C. § 78 l); or
(ii) Is an issuer subject to § 15(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (15 U.S.C. § 78o(d)).
(b) Words and terms: tense, number, and gender. In construing the provisions of this chapter except when otherwise plainly declared or clearly apparent from the context:
(1) Words in the present tense include the future tense;
(2) Words in the masculine include the feminine and neuter genders; and
(3) Words in the singular include the plural and the plural includes the singular.
(P.L. 1987, ch. 112, § 1.)