§ 5-50-1. Definition of terms.
Whenever used in this chapter:
(1) "Business day" means any day except Sunday or a legal holiday.
(2) "Buyer or Purchaser" means a natural person who enters into a health club contract.
(3) "Department" means the department of attorney general, unless otherwise described.
(4) "Disability" means a condition that will exist for more than forty-five (45) days and prevents a buyer from utilizing the health club to the same extent the buyer did before the commencement of the condition.
(5) "Health club" means any corporation, partnership, unincorporated association, or other business enterprise offering facilities for the preservation, maintenance, encouragement, or development of physical fitness or well-being in return for the payment of a fee entitling the payer to the use of the facilities. The term includes, but is not limited to, "health spas", "health clubs", "health studios", "figure salons", "sports clubs", "aerobic dance studios", "weight control studios", "gyms", and anywhere exercise facilities are available; but does not include any non-profit organization, any private club owned and operated by its members, or any facility owned or operated by the state of Rhode Island or any of its political subdivisions.
(6) "Health club contract" means a written statement where a buyer is entitled to membership in a health club or use of the facilities of a health club for a period longer than seven (7) days.
(7) "Seller" means any person, firm, corporation, partnership, unincorporated association, franchise, franchisor, or other business enterprise which operates a health club or which offer or enters into contracts for health club services.
(8) "Services actually received" includes any period during which the facilities of the health club are available to the buyer and are actually used by the buyer.
(9) "Unopened facility" means a health club that is not fully constructed, open or available for use at the time the seller and buyer enter into a contract for health club services.
(P.L. 1996, ch. 154, § 1.)