§ 5-55-3. Definitions.
As used in this chapter, unless the context indicates otherwise, the following words mean:
(1) "Automotive product" means any product sold or distributed by a retailer for use with a motor vehicle, whether or not that product is essential for the maintenance of the motor vehicle and whether or not that product is also used for non-automotive purposes.
(2) "Deposit in advance" means any deposit, regardless of its purported purpose, which is received by a distributor or refiner from a retail dealer or distributor as a breakage, security, or other similar deposit.
(3) "Distributor" means any person engaged in the sale, consignment, or distribution of petroleum products to wholesale or retail outlets, whether or not that person owns, leases or in any way controls those outlets.
(4) "Franchise agreement" means any written or oral agreement, for a definite or indefinite period, between a refiner and a retail dealer or between a distributor and a retail dealer or between a refiner and a distributor under which:
(i) A retail dealer or a distributor promises to sell or distribute the product or products of the refiner;
(ii) A retail dealer or a distributor is granted the right to use a trademark, trade name, service mark, or other identifying symbol or name owned by a refiner; or
(iii) A retail dealer or a distributor is granted the right to occupy premises owned, leased, or controlled by a refiner or distributor.
(5) "Franchisee" means either a distributor who has entered into a franchise agreement with a refiner or a retail dealer who has entered into a franchise agreement with a distributor or a refiner.
(6) "Franchisor" means either a refiner who enters into a franchise agreement with a distributor or retail dealer, or a distributor who enters into a franchise agreement with a retail dealer.
(7) "Motor fuel" and "petroleum product" means any substance or combination of substances which is intended to be or is capable of being used for the purpose of propelling or running by combustion any internal combustion engine which is sold or used for that purpose.
(8) "Person" means any natural person, corporation, partnership, trust or other entity, and, in the case of any entity, the term also includes any other entity that has a majority interest in the entity or effectively controls the entity, the officers, directors and other persons in active control of each entity.
(9) "Place of business" means:
(i) Any fixed geographical location at which pursuant to a franchise agreement, motor fuels are sold or distributed or a trademark, trade name, service mark, or other identifying symbol is used or displayed; or
(ii) Any premises owned, leased, or controlled by a refiner or distributor, in which a retail dealer or a distributor is granted the right of occupancy pursuant to a franchise agreement.
(10) "Refiner" means any person engaged in the refining or importing of petroleum products.
(11) "Retail dealer" means any person who operates a service station, filling station, store, garage or other place of business for the sale of motor fuel for delivery into the service tank or tanks of any vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine.
(12) "Retail fuel outlet" means a place at which gasoline and oil are stored and supplied to the public, which is operated directly by a refiner or distributor.
(P.L. 1976, ch. 324, § 1.)