§ 5-64-5. Rhode Island state board of dietetics practice.
(a) Within the division of professional regulation in the Rhode Island department of health there is a board of dietetics practice.
(1) The board shall consist of nine (9) members appointed for terms of three (3) years each with no member serving more than two (2) consecutive terms. One shall be the director of the department of health or designee. Five (5) shall be licensed dietitians/nutritionists appointed by the director of the department of health, with the approval of the governor, except that the appointments made initially need not be licensed under this chapter. (In his or her initial appointment the director shall designate the licensed dietitian/nutritionist members of the board as follows: one member to serve for a term of one year; two (2) members to serve for a term of two (2) years; and two (2) members to serve for a term of three (3) years). One member shall be a physician licensed to practice medicine in this state appointed by the governor. Two (2) shall be consumers appointed by the governor.
(2) The director of the department of health may remove any member of the board for cause.
(3) Vacancies shall be filled for the unexpired portion of any term in the same manner as the original appointment.
(b) The duties of the board shall be to:
(1) Recommend to the director rules and regulations necessary to implement this chapter.
(2) Determine the qualification and fitness of applicants and to issue and/or reinstate licenses.
(3) Recommend to the director revocation, suspension and/or denial of a license.
(P.L. 1988, ch. 643, § 1; P.L. 1989, ch. 545, § 1; P.L. 1990, ch. 394, § 1; P.L. 1991, ch. 385, § 1.)