§ 5-65-1. Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Board" means the contractors' registration and licensing board established pursuant to the provisions of Rhode Island general laws § 5-65-14 or its designees.
(2) "Commission" means the building code commission supportive of the contractors' registration and licensing board.
(3)(i) "Contractor" means a person who, in the pursuit of an independent business, undertakes or offers to undertake or submits a bid, or for compensation and with or without the intent to sell the structure arranges to construct, alter, repair, improve, move over public highways, roads or streets or demolish a structure or to perform any work in connection with the construction, alteration, repair, improvement, moving over public highways, roads or streets or demolition of a structure, and the appurtenances thereto. For the purposes of this chapter, "appurtenances" includes the installation, alteration or repair of wells connected to a structure consistent with chapter 46-13.2. "Contractor" includes, but is not limited to, any person who purchases or owns property and constructs or for compensation arranges for the construction of one or more structures.
(ii) A certificate of registration is necessary for each "business entity" regardless of the fact that each entity may be owned by the same individual.
(4) "Dwelling unit" means a single unit providing complete independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation.
(5) "Hearing officer" means a person designated by the executive director, to hear contested claims or cases, contested enforcement proceedings, and contested administrative fines, in accordance with the Administrative Procedures Act, chapter 35 of title 42.
(6) "Monetary damages" means the dollar amount required in excess of the contract amount necessary to provide the claimant with what was agreed to be provided under the terms of the contract reduced by any amount due and unpaid to the respondent inclusive of any and all awards and restitution.
(7) "Staff" means the executive director for the contractors' registration and licensing board, and any other staff necessary to carry out the powers, functions and duties of the board including inspectors, hearing officers and other supportive staff.
(8) "State" means the state of Rhode Island.
(9) "Structure" means (i) any commercial building; or (ii) any building containing one or more residences and their appurtenances. The board's dispute resolution process shall apply only to residential structures containing dwelling units as defined in the state building code or residential portions of other types of buildings without regard to how many units any structure may contain. The board retains jurisdiction and may conduct hearings regarding violations against all contractors required to be registered or licensed by the board.
(10) "Substantially" means any violation, which affects the health, safety, and welfare of the general public.
(P.L. 1989, ch. 222, § 1; P.L. 1994, ch. 350, § 2; P.L. 1996, ch. 322, § 1; P.L. 2001, ch. 257, § 1; P.L. 2001, ch. 322, § 1; P.L. 2001, ch. 323, § 1; P.L. 2001, ch. 327, § 1; P.L. 2006, ch. 648, § 1; P.L. 2007, ch. 73, art. 32, § 1; P.L. 2007, ch. 228, § 2; P.L. 2007, ch. 324, § 1; P.L. 2008, ch. 364, § 1; P.L. 2009, ch. 310, § 41; P.L. 2012, ch. 241, art. 17, § 4.)