§ 6-13-5. Sales exempt from chapter.
This chapter shall not apply with respect to advertising or offering to sell or selling, at retail or at wholesale, as the case may be, if done:
(1) In an isolated transaction and not in the usual course of business;
(2) Where merchandise is sold in bona fide clearance sales, if advertised or offered for sale as such or marked and sold as such, or where merchandise is marked down in an effort to sell the merchandise after bona fide efforts to sell the merchandise prior to the markdown;
(3) Where perishable merchandise must be sold promptly in order to forestall loss;
(4) Where merchandise is imperfect or damaged or its sale is being discontinued, if advertised or offered for sale as such or marked and sold as such;
(5) Where merchandise is advertised or offered for sale or sold upon the final liquidation of any business;
(6) Where merchandise is advertised or offered for sale or sold for charitable purposes or to relief agencies;
(7) Where merchandise is sold on contract to any department, board, or commission of this state, or of any of its political subdivisions, or to any institution maintained thereby; or
(8) Where merchandise is advertised or offered for sale or sold by any fiduciary or other officer acting under the order or direction of any court.
(P.L. 1939, ch. 671, § 3; G.L. 1956, § 6-13-5; P.L. 2014, ch. 528, § 9.)