§ 6-2-1. Definitions.
As used in this chapter, the following words, unless the context otherwise requires, have the following meanings:
(1) "Applicant" means any person filing an application for registration of a mark under this chapter, his or her legal representatives, successors, or assigns;
(2) "Mark" means any trademark or service mark entitled to registration under this chapter whether registered or not;
(3) "Person" means any individual, firm, partnership, corporation, association, union, or other organization;
(4) "Registrant" means any person to whom the registration of a mark under this chapter is issued, his or her legal representative, successors, or assigns;
(5) "Service mark" means a mark used in the sale or advertising of services to identify the services of one person and distinguish them from the services of others;
(6) "Trade name" means a word, name, symbol, device, or any combination thereof used by a person to identify his or her business, vocation, or occupation and distinguish it from the business, vocation, or occupation of others;
(7) "Trademark" means any word, name, symbol, or device, or any combination of them, adopted and used by a person to identify goods made or sold by him or her, and to distinguish them from goods made or sold by others;
(8) For the purposes of this chapter, a trademark is deemed to be "used" in the state:
(i) On goods when it is placed in any manner on the goods or their containers or the displays associated with the goods or their containers, or on the tags or labels affixed to them, and the goods are sold or otherwise distributed in the state; and
(ii) On services when it is used or displayed in the sale or advertising of services, and the services are rendered in the state.
(P.L. 1975, ch. 89, § 2.)