§ 6-36-3. Definitions.
For the purposes of this chapter, the terms defined in this section have the following meanings:
(1) "Commodity" means any goods, merchandise, wares, produce, chose in action, article of commerce, or any other tangible or intangible property, real, personal, or mixed, for use, consumption, enjoyment, or resale;
(2) "Department" means the department of attorney general of this state;
(3) "Documentary material" means any original or copy of any book, record, memorandum, paper communication, tabulation, map, chart, photograph, mechanical transcription, or other tangible document or recording;
(4) "Investigative demand" or "demand" means an investigative demand pursuant to § 6-36-9(b);
(5) "Person" means any natural person or the estate of any natural person; or trust or association of persons, whether formal or otherwise; or any corporation, partnership, company, or any other legal or commercial entity;
(6) "Public body" means the state of Rhode Island; any of its public agencies; cities and towns; its other political subdivisions; and other authorities;
(7) "Service" means any kind of activity performed in whole or in part for financial gain including, but not limited to, personal services;
(8) "Trade or commerce" means any economic activity of any type whatsoever involving any commodity or service or business activity whatsoever.
(P.L. 1979, ch. 98, § 1; P.L. 1985, ch. 350, § 1; P.L. 2014, ch. 528, § 26.)