§ 6-44-2 Definitions.
For the purposes of this chapter:
(1) "Lessee" means an individual who leases personal property under a rental purchase agreement.
(2) "Lessor" means a person who, in the ordinary course of business, regularly leases, offers to lease, or acts as an agent for the leasing of property under a rental purchase agreement.
(3) "Property" means the personal property that is the subject of a rental purchase agreement.
(4) "Rental purchase agreement" means an agreement for the use of property by a lessee for personal, family, or household purposes, for an initial period of four (4) months or less, that is automatically renewable with each payment after the initial period and that permits, but does not obligate, the lessee to become the owner of the property.
(5) An agreement that complies with this chapter shall not be construed as, nor be governed by, the laws relating to:
(i) "Credit" as defined in § 6-27-3(1);
(ii) A "home solicitation sale" as defined in § 6-28-2; or
(iii) A "security interest" as defined in § 6A-1-201(35).
(P.L. 1989, ch. 481, § 1.)