§ 7-6-51 Distribution of assets.
The assets of a corporation in the process of dissolution shall be applied and distributed as follows:
(1) All liabilities and obligations of the corporation shall be paid and discharged, or adequate provision shall be made for their payment and discharge;
(2) Assets held by the corporation upon condition requiring return, transfer, or conveyance, which condition occurs by reason of the dissolution, shall be returned, transferred, or conveyed in accordance with the requirements;
(3) Assets received and held by the corporation subject to limitations permitting their use only for charitable, religious, eleemosynary, benevolent, educational, or similar purposes, but not held upon a condition requiring return, transfer, or conveyance by reason of the dissolution, shall be transferred or conveyed to one or more domestic or foreign corporations, societies, or organizations engaged in activities substantially similar to those of the dissolving corporation, pursuant to a plan of distribution adopted as provided in this chapter or as otherwise provided in its articles of incorporation or bylaws;
(4) Any other assets shall be distributed in accordance with the provisions of the articles of incorporation or the bylaws to the extent that the articles of incorporation or bylaws determine the distributive rights of members, or any class or classes of members, or provide for distribution to others;
(5) Any remaining assets may be distributed to any persons, societies, organizations, or domestic or foreign corporations, whether for profit or nonprofit, that may be specified in a plan of distribution adopted as provided in this chapter.
(P.L. 1984, ch. 380, § 1; P.L. 1984, ch. 444, § 1.)