§ 7-6-72 Corporate name of foreign corporation.
No certificate of authority shall be issued to a foreign corporation unless the corporate name of the corporation:
(1) Does not contain any word or phrase which indicates or implies that it is organized for any purpose other than one or more of the purposes contained in its articles of incorporation.
(2) Is distinguishable upon the records of the secretary of state from the name of any corporation, whether for profit or not for profit, domestic or foreign limited partnership or domestic or foreign limited liability company organized under the laws of, or registered or qualified or authorized to transact business or conduct affairs in this state, or any name, or which is filed, reserved or registered under this title.
(3) Is translated into letters of the English alphabet, if it is not in English.
(4) Words and/or abbreviations that are required by statute to identify the particular type of business entity shall be disregarded when determining if a name is distinguishable upon the records of the secretary of state.
(5) The secretary of state shall promulgate rules and regulations defining the term "distinguishable upon the record" for the administration of this chapter.
(P.L. 1984, ch. 380, § 1; P.L. 1984, ch. 444, § 1; P.L. 1989, ch. 380, § 1; P.L. 1993, ch. 187, § 1; P.L. 1997, ch. 188, § 2; P.L. 2005, ch. 36, § 4; P.L. 2005, ch. 72, § 4; P.L. 2011, ch. 54, § 2; P.L. 2011, ch. 60, § 2.)