§ 8-12-1. Report of unclaimed funds in court registries.
(a) The clerks of the supreme, superior, family, district, workers' compensation courts and the traffic tribunal shall, every year during the month of July, return to the state court administrator those funds which have been on deposit in the registry of the respective court for a period of five (5) years or more as of the last business day of June of that year. A sworn statement listing all money or funds shall also be submitted.
(b) The statement shall contain as to each deposit or fund:
(1) The number and title of the case and the date of the order entered on the case in accordance with which the money was paid into the registry of the court;
(2) The name and address of the person, persons, firm, or corporation who paid the money into the registry of the court so far as the name and address appears of record;
(3) The name and address of the person, persons, firm, or corporation entitled to the money in the registry so far as the name and address appear of record in the case or are otherwise known to the clerk;
(4) The amount and date of the deposit in the registry of the court and the amount including accretions from interest or otherwise at the date of the statement; and
(5) An assertion as to whether or not any claim to the deposit or fund or portion thereof is being actively prosecuted by any person and/or whether such claim has been made during the five (5) years prior to the last business day of June of that year.
(P.L. 1977, ch. 126, § 1; P.L. 1981, ch. 130, § 1; P.L. 1992, ch. 133, art. 100, § 1; P.L. 2000, ch. 452, § 1; P.L. 2010, ch. 231, § 1; P.L. 2010, ch. 238, § 1.)