§ 8-19-2. Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) A "limited-English-proficient person" means any person whose primary language is not English and who does not have the ability to adequately understand or communicate effectively in English.
(2) A "qualified interpreter" is a person who is able to interpret simultaneously and consecutively and sight translate from English into a foreign language and from said language into English but who is not certified pursuant to this chapter.
(3) A "certified interpreter" is one who is able to interpret simultaneously and consecutively and sight translate from English to the language of the person needing an interpreter, and from said language to English, and who has been certified pursuant to the provision of § 8-19-5.
(4) "Legal proceedings" means any proceeding in the Rhode Island state court system.
(5) "Appointing authority" means the judicial officer presiding at a legal proceeding.
(P.L. 1999, ch. 340, § 1; P.L. 2014, ch. 79, § 1; P.L. 2014, ch. 88, § 1.)