Courts and Civil Procedure – Procedure Generally

District Court Practice

SECTION 9-12-10.1

§ 9-12-10.1. Claim of appeal to superior court in landlord tenant actions.

In any civil action pursuant to chapter 18 of title 34, in the district court or other appropriate court, any party may cause the case to be removed for trial on all questions of law and fact to the superior court for the county in which division the suit is pending, by claiming an appeal from the judgment of the district or other appropriate court, in writing, filed with the clerk of the division within five (5) days after the judgment is entered; provided, that the party claiming the appeal at the time of claiming the appeal, shall pay to the clerk all costs, including an attorney's fee of fifty dollars ($50.00) for the party or parties adversely interested in the judgment, to be paid by the clerk to the attorney for the adverse party; provided, further, that costs shall not be taxed, exclusive of the attorney's fee, at a sum less than twenty-five dollars ($25.00), in addition to a technology surcharge assessed in accordance with § 8-15-11.

History of Section.
(P.L. 1986, ch. 200, § 6; P.L. 1997, ch. 326, § 80; P.L. 2014, ch. 34, § 3; P.L. 2014, ch. 42, § 3.)