Courts and Civil Procedure – Procedure Generally

Judgments, Orders, and Decrees

SECTION 9-21-2

§ 9-21-2. Relief from judgment or decree.

(a) On motion and upon such terms as are just, a court may relieve a party or his or her legal representative from a final judgment, order, decree, or proceeding entered therein for the following reasons:

(1) Mistake, inadvertence, surprise, or excusable neglect;

(2) Newly discovered evidence which by due diligence could not have been discovered in time to move for a new trial under applicable law;

(3) Fraud (whether heretofore denominated intrinsic or extrinsic), misrepresentation, or other misconduct of an adverse party;

(4) The judgment is void;

(5) The judgment has been satisfied, released, or discharged, or a prior judgment upon which it is based has been reversed or otherwise vacated, or it is no longer equitable that the judgment should have prospective application; or

(6) Any other reason justifying relief from the operation of the judgment.

(b) The motion shall be made within a reasonable time and not more than one year after the judgment, order, or proceeding was entered or taken.

History of Section.
(C.P.A. 1905, § 428; G.L. 1909, ch. 294, § 2; G.L. 1923, ch. 344, § 2; G.L. 1938, ch. 535, § 2; G.L. 1956, § 9-21-2; P.L. 1965, ch. 55, § 36.)