§ 16-7-36. Definitions.
The following words and phrases used in §§ 16-7-35 to 16-7-47 have the following meanings:
(1) "Adjusted equalized weighted assessed valuation" means the equalized weighted assessed valuation for a community as determined by the division of property valuation within the department of revenue in accordance with § 16-7-21; provided, however, that in the case of a regional school district the commissioner of elementary and secondary education shall apportion the adjusted equalized weighted assessed valuation of the member cities or towns among the regional school district and the member cities or towns according to the proportion that the number of pupils of the regional school district bears to the number of pupils of the member cities or towns.
(2) "Approved project" means a project which has complied with the administrative regulations governing §§ 16-7-35 through 16-7-47, and which has been authorized to receive state school housing reimbursement by the commissioner of elementary and secondary education.
(3) "Commissioning agent" means a person or entity who ensures that systems are designed, installed, functionally tested, and capable of being operated and maintained to perform in conformity with the design intent of a project.
(4) "Community" means any city, town, or regional school district established pursuant to law; provided, however, that the member towns of the Chariho regional high school district, created by P.L. 1958, ch. 55, as amended, shall constitute separate and individual communities for the purposes of distributing the foundation level school support for school housing for all grades financed in whole or in part by the towns irrespective of any regionalization.
(5) "Facilities condition index" means the cost to fully repair the building divided by the cost to replace the building as determined by the school building authority.
(6) "Functional utilization" means the ratio of the student population within a school facility to the capacity of the school facility to adequately serve students as defined by the school building authority.
(7) "Maintenance expenditures" means amounts spent for repairs or replacements for the purpose of keeping a school facility open and safe for use, including repairs, maintenance, and replacements to a school facility's heating, lighting, ventilation, security, and other fixtures to keep the facility or fixtures in effective working condition. Maintenance shall not include contracted or direct custodial or janitorial services, expenditures for the cleaning of a school facility or its fixtures, the care and upkeep of grounds, recreational facilities, or parking lots, or the cleaning of or repairs and replacements to movable furnishings or equipment.
(8) "Owner's program manager" means owner's program manager as defined in § 37-2-7.
(9) "Prime contractor" means the construction contractor who is responsible for the completion of a project.
(10) "Reference year" means the year next prior to the school year immediately preceding that in which aid is to be paid.
(11) "Subject to inflation" means the base amount multiplied by the percentage of increase in the Producer Price Index (PPI) Data for Nonresidential Building Construction (NAICS 236222) as published by the United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics determined as of September 30 of the prior calendar year.
(P.L. 1960, ch. 26, § 2; P.L. 1961, ch. 93, § 2; P.L. 1980, ch. 264, § 1; P.L. 1981, ch. 252, § 1; P.L. 1983, ch. 134, § 1; P.L. 1988, ch. 84, § 9; P.L. 2006, ch. 246, art. 38, § 3; P.L. 2018, ch. 47, art. 9, § 1.)