§ 23-82-2. Legislative findings.
It is hereby found and declared by the general assembly as follows:
(1) Scientific findings indicate that the increase in greenhouse gas emissions, including carbon dioxide, is accelerating the natural greenhouse effect resulting in changes in the Earth's climate;
(2) Climate changes pose serious health risks to humans, as well as danger to ecosystems worldwide;
(3) This act creates a strong incentive for the creation, development, and deployment of more efficient technologies and processes, energy efficiency and renewable energy supplies which will lead to less dependence on the import of fossil fuels.
(4) Rhode Island's implementation of the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, (hereinafter referred to as "RGGI"), should be managed to maximize the state's contribution to lowering carbon emissions while minimizing impacts on electric system reliability and costs to Rhode Island power consumers over the long term. Adoption and use of cost-effective energy-efficient products and programs and the strategic use of low and zero carbon generation are the best means to achieve these goals.
(5) It is the intent of the general assembly in enacting this chapter that the state of Rhode Island shall fulfill the mutual understandings and commitments of the regional greenhouse gas initiative so that the state may fully participate in that initiative and all sales or auctions and other proceedings as may be established under that initiative.
(P.L. 2007, ch. 119, § 1; P.L. 2007, ch. 206, § 1.)