Individual Health Insurance Coverage
R.I. Gen. Laws § 27-18.5-4
§ 27-18.5-4. Continuation of coverage — Renewability.
(a) A health insurance carrier that provides individual health insurance coverage to an individual in this state shall renew or continue in force that coverage at the option of the individual.
(b) A health insurance carrier may nonrenew or discontinue health insurance coverage of an individual in the individual market based only on one or more of the following:
(1) The individual has failed to pay premiums or contributions in accordance with the terms of the health insurance coverage or the carrier has not received timely premium payments;
(2) The individual has performed an act or practice that constitutes fraud or made an intentional misrepresentation of material fact under the terms of the coverage;
(3) The carrier is ceasing to offer coverage in accordance with subsections (c) and (d) of this section;
(4) In the case of a carrier that offers health insurance coverage in the market through a network plan, the individual no longer resides, lives, or works in the service area (or in an area for which the carrier is authorized to do business) but only if the coverage is terminated uniformly without regard to any health status-related factor of covered individuals; or
(5) In the case of health insurance coverage that is made available in the individual market only through one or more bona fide associations, the membership of the individual in the association (on the basis of which the coverage is provided) ceases but only if the coverage is terminated uniformly and without regard to any health status-related factor of covered individuals.
(c) In any case in which a carrier decides to discontinue offering a particular type of health insurance coverage offered in the individual market, coverage of that type may be discontinued only if:
(1) The carrier provides notice, to each covered individual provided coverage of this type in the market, of the discontinuation at least ninety (90) days prior to the date of discontinuation of the coverage;
(2) The carrier offers to each individual in the individual market provided coverage of this type, the opportunity to purchase any other individual health insurance coverage currently being offered by the carrier for individuals in the market; and
(3) In exercising this option to discontinue coverage of this type and in offering the option of coverage under subdivision (2) of this subsection, the carrier acts uniformly without regard to any health status-related factor of enrolled individuals or individuals who may become eligible for the coverage.
(d) In any case in which a carrier elects to discontinue offering all health insurance coverage in the individual market in this state, health insurance coverage may be discontinued only if:
(1) The carrier provides notice to the director and to each individual of the discontinuation at least one hundred eighty (180) days prior to the date of the expiration of the coverage; and
(2) All health insurance issued or delivered in this state in the market is discontinued and coverage under this health insurance coverage in the market is not renewed.
(e) In the case of a discontinuation under subsection (d) of this section, the carrier may not provide for the issuance of any health insurance coverage in the individual market in this state during the five (5) year period beginning on the date the carrier filed its notice with the department to withdraw from the individual health insurance market in this state. This five (5) year period may be reduced to a minimum of three (3) years at the discretion of the health insurance commissioner, based on his/her analysis of market conditions and other related factors.
(f) The provisions of subsections (d) and (e) of this section do not apply if, at the time of coverage renewal, a health insurance carrier modifies the health insurance coverage for a policy form offered to individuals in the individual market so long as the modification is consistent with this chapter and other applicable law and effective on a uniform basis among all individuals with that policy form.
(g) In applying this section in the case of health insurance coverage made available by a carrier in the individual market to individuals only through one or more associations, a reference to an "individual" includes a reference to the association (of which the individual is a member).
History of Section.
P.L. 2000, ch. 200, § 4; P.L. 2000, ch. 229, § 4; P.L. 2005, ch. 68, § 1; P.L. 2005, ch. 78, § 1.