§ 5-50-2. Registration — Fees — Renewals — Suspension or revocation.
(a) No person, firm, corporation, or other entity shall operate or cause to be operated a health club unless duly registered as provided in this chapter.
(b)(1) Each health club shall be registered with the department.
(2) A health club shall file a registration statement in accordance with subsection (c) before entering into a health club contract with a buyer.
(3) All contracts entered into when a health club does not have a current registration statement filed shall be void.
(4) A nonrefundable registration fee of one hundred dollars ($100) shall be required of all health clubs.
(5) Registration shall be valid for one year from its effective date, and may be annually renewed with the department by making the filing required by subsection (c), and paying a renewal fee of fifty ($50.00) dollars.
(6) Whenever, prior to expiration of a seller’s annual registration, there is material change in the information required by subsection (c), the seller, within ten (10) days, shall file an addendum updating the information with the department.
(c) The registration forms to be provided by the consumer protection unit of the department shall include:
(1) The name and address of the health club and any multiple location operations;
(2) Names and residential addresses of officers, directors, and majority stockholders of the health club;
(3) The name and address of the parent company if any;
(4) Approximate square footage of the health club;
(5) The types of available facilities;
(6) The types of membership plans offered and their cost;
(7) A copy of the contract for health club services;
(8) A full and complete disclosure of any pending or completed litigation, or any complaint filed with a governmental authority against the health club or any of its officers or directors within the last three (3) years;
(9) Proof of bonding if applicable as required by § 5-50-3;
(10) Appropriate certification or documentation from the municipality where the health club is located that the facility has not been cited as being in violation of compliance with applicable zoning and planning regulations, fire regulations, and building codes. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide this documentation to the department. The department may waive this requirement for applicants from municipalities without these applicable codes or regulations; and
(11) The names and locations of any health club in which any of the principals may have been associated in the last three (3) years.
(d)(1) The principals who leave a health club shall remain subject to the provisions of this section and chapter until notice is given to the department that they are no longer associated with the registered health club.
(2) Any replacement principal shall file with the department a notice made in the form of an updated registration application.
(e) Changes in physical locations within Rhode Island must be made, in writing, to the department within ten (10) days of the move.
(f) No health club shall engage in any act or practice that is in violation of the provisions of this chapter or any regulation adopted to carry out the provisions of this chapter, or engage in conduct likely to mislead, deceive, or defraud the buyer, the public, or the local authority.
(g) The department may refuse to grant or renew a registration or may suspend or revoke the registration of any health club that engages in any conduct prohibited by this chapter or does not comply with the statutory requirements prescribed in §§ 5-50-3 and 5-50-7.
History of Section.
P.L. 1996, ch. 154, § 1; P.L. 1998, ch. 437, § 1.