The Rhode Island Legislative Black and Latino Caucus (RILBLC) represents and advocates for the interests of disadvantaged people throughout the State of Rhode Island. It seeks to increase a diverse participation and representation in all levels of government. Our ultimate goal is to close (and ultimately, to eliminate) disparities that still exist between White and Non White Americans in every aspect of life.
The RILBLC will continue to work with all who are willing to work with us to help advance our agenda and achieve this goal.
Thus, Our Objectives are:
- To serve as a strong, united and effective advocate for multicultural Rhode Islanders.
- To increase diverse representation in all levels of government, including statewide appointed and elected officials.
- To create employment and economic security.
- To ensure equal access to education, social, health services, employment and other relevant programs.
- To help curtail violence amongst young people in the community.
- To advocate against racial stereotypes and negative portrayals of Blacks, Latinos and other Non-Whites in the media.
- To promote greater civic participation and knowledge about major policy issues and to develop community knowledge and understanding of such issues through all available mediums of communication.
- To seek and foster interstate cooperation and to advocate the effectiveness, independence and integrity of the respective legislatures as co-equal branches of government in United States and its states and territories.
- To ensure and defend justice, civil rights and liberties for all.