WHEREAS, There are over 30,000 children living in Rhode Island under the age of seven who are living in poverty or in crisis (about half of all poor children are under age 18); and
WHEREAS, As much as 75% of the income of the average family earning the minimum wage may go toward housing costs, leaving as little as 25% for food, clothing, furniture and other necessities; and
WHEREAS, Social workers indicate that socks, underclothes and diapers are among the most needed items for young children since these are not appropriate "hand me downs" or yard sale items; and
WHEREAS, Many of these 30,000 youngsters must go without and are forced to attend school without socks and underwear; and
WHEREAS, The Girl Scouts of Rhode Island, Inc. and the Rhode Island Donor Exchange Program have formed a partnership to lend a helping hand to those families with children that are trying so hard to help themselves; now, therefore, be it
RESOLVED, That this House of Representatives of the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations hereby recognizes the laudable endeavors of the Girl Scouts of Rhode Island, Inc. and the Rhode Island Donor Exchange Program for their efforts to help some of our most valuable and vulnerable citizens -- the needy children of Rhode Island -- by collecting socks and underwear for them. This House is, furthermore, pleased and proud to assist these fine organizations in promoting this program by proclaiming May 11-18, 1996 to be PROJECT UNDERCOVER WEEK IN RHODE ISLAND.