§ 16-22.1-4. Definitions.
When used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Board" means the Rhode Island board of regents for elementary and secondary education.
(2) "Commissioner" means the Rhode Island commissioner for elementary and secondary education.
(3) "Course" means a course of study consistent with subdivision 16-1-5(4) and that meets the requirements of the basic education program.
(4) "School district" means local education agencies in Rhode Island operated by municipalities and those entities established under §§ 16-77.2-1, 16-77.3, and 16-77.4.
(5) "Teacher of record" means the teacher responsible for content instruction and determining student grades.
(6) "Virtual course" means a course in which:
(i) Instruction and content are delivered primarily through technology, including over the Internet, via television, and through multi-media;
(ii) A student and teacher may be in physically different locations for a portion of the student's instructional period;
(iii) Most instructional activities take place in a technology-supported environment;
(iv) The technology-supported instructional activities are integral to the students' academic program;
(v) Extensive communication between a student and a teacher and among students is emphasized; and
(vi) A student is not necessarily required to be located on the physical premises of a public school.
(7) "Virtual course provider" means:
(i) A public school district or school in Rhode Island that provides virtual courses to:
(A) Students enrolled in that district or school; or
(B) Students enrolled in another school district or school;
(ii) An accredited public or private institution of higher education in Rhode Island or another state that provides virtual courses or programs to students attending public schools in Rhode Island;
(iii) A not-for-profit or for-profit organization whose work includes offering virtual courses or programs to students attending public schools in Rhode Island.
(P.L. 2012, ch. 250, § 1; P.L. 2012, ch. 268, § 1.)