Labor and Labor Relations

The Rhode Island Whistleblowers' Protection Act

SECTION 28-50-2

§ 28-50-2. Definitions.

As used in this chapter:

(1) "Employee" means a person employed by any employer, and shall include, but not be limited to, at-will employees, contract employees and independent contractors.

(2) "Employer" means any person, partnership, association, sole proprietorship, corporation or other business entity, including any department, agency, commission, committee, board, council, bureau, or authority or any subdivision thereof in state or municipal government. One shall employ another if services are performed for wages or under any contract of hire, written or oral, express or implied.

(3) "Person" means an individual, sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, association, or any other legal entity.

(4) "Public body" means all of the following:

(i) A state officer, employee, agency, department, division, bureau, board, commission, council, authority, or other body in the executive branch of state government.

(ii) An agency, board, commission, council, member, or employee of the legislative branch of state government.

(iii) A county, city, town, or regional governing body, a council, school district, or a board, department, commission, agency, or any member or employee of the entity.

(iv) Any other body which is created by state or local authority or which is primarily funded by or through state or local authority, or any member or employee of that body.

(v) A law enforcement agency or any member or employee of a law enforcement agency.

(vi) The judiciary and any member or employee of the judiciary.

(vii) Any federal agency.

(5) "Supervisor" means any individual to whom an employer has given the authority to direct and control the work performance of the affected employee or any individual who has the authority to take corrective action regarding the violation of a law, rule or regulation about which the employee complains.

History of Section.
(P.L. 1995, ch. 308, § 2; P.L. 1999, ch. 104, § 1; P.L. 1999, ch. 190, § 1; P.L. 2000, ch. 329, § 1; P.L. 2000, ch. 509, § 1; P.L. 2002, ch. 50, § 1.)